When 11-year old Davyon Johnson of Muskogee, Oklahoma, left for school on the morning of December 9th, he was unaware he would be responsible for saving the lives of two people.
The first incident occurred shortly after Johnson got to class at Muskogee Public School, when he noticed that a classmate at the 6th and 7th Grade Academy began making a strange sound. Immediately, Davyon realized the other kid was chocking after he accidentally swallowed a water bottle cap while attempting to pry it open with his teeth.
Davyon sprung into action, sprinting over to the choking classmate to begin the Heimlich maneuver. According to an eye witness, the bottle cap just popped out.
Davyon described the incident, explaining that he quickly wrapped his arms around his classmate and “burped him kind of.” He also revealed to reporters he learned the Heimlich technique while watching YouTube, and recommends everyone should learn the simple lifesaving maneuver.
“Just in case you’re in the situation I was in, you can know what to do,” Johnson added.
"*" indicates required fields
Hours later, Davyon’s second act of heroism occurred late in the afternoon. It was almost dark when Latoya Johnson, Davyon’s mom, was driving her son home from wrestling practice and they began to smell smoke.
A salute to Davyon Johnson! The Muskogee, Oklahoma 6th grader “used an abdominal thrust [Heimlich maneuver] on a school mate who was choking on a bottle cap. Later that day, Davyon rescued a woman from a burning house.” 👑 @cspaulding59 in @enidnews: https://t.co/Q7qYzHI1Jc— Ajit Pai (@AjitPai) December 22, 2021
Slowing down, Latoya drove closer to the house and parked directly in front. She began to honk multiple times, hoping to get the attention of the homeowner. Moments later, a plume of black smoke poured out from the back side of the house, and Johnson quickly dialed 911.
Davyon had already exited the car and rushed to the front door of the house. He began knocking frantically, yelling for those inside to “get out.”
Within a matter of seconds, a number of people rushed out of the burning house. Johnson assumed that everyone had gotten out of the house safely.
Davyon quickly noticed that there was still someone inside; an elderly woman, who suddenly appeared at the front door with a walker. Dazed and confused, she stood there unable to move, until Davyon reached her and escorted her safely away from the burning inferno engulfing the house.
After that incredible day, Latoya Johnson explained how her son always demonstrated maturity beyond his years. According to her, Davyon merely showed his true self. “He’s always been there to help, whenever he can. He’s just still the same kid. It’s not like it’s made him any more or any less,” Latoya exclaimed.
On December 15th, Muskogee Public Schools honored Davyon’s bravery by awarding him several awards.
“The Muskogee Public Schools Board of Education recognized sixth-grader Davyon Johnson during the board meeting Tuesday night,” the statement said. “Davyon performed the Heimlich maneuver on a classmate on December 9 and that evening helped a woman from her house that was on fire. Muskogee Police Department and Muskogee County Sheriff’s Office presented Johnson with a certificate denoting him as an honor member of their force.”
Muskogee Mayor, Marlon J. Coleman, also declared December 10th as “Davyon Johnson Day”. The city boasts a population of about 38,000 residents, who will no doubt honor the young lad.
Coleman will also award Davyon the keys to his hometown.
Davyon Johnson, 11, earned a key to the city of Muskogee, Oklahoma for saving a choking student and helping an elderly woman escape a burning house in the same day. https://t.co/RrAiiS48TP— FOX 10 Phoenix (@FOX10Phoenix) December 29, 2021
“He sends a clear message to the people of Muskogee that this represents the type of people we really are,” Coleman said. “He was very heroic. He was very selfless. He did it almost as part of his natural personality. It wasn’t taught. It’s just who he is as a person. For us, it makes us proud that we have those types of young people in our community.”